Love,Wills, Grover, Hamblin Families
Loretta's Site
First Name:  Last Name: 
Maiden Married
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]


» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 67» Next»     » Slide Show

Grover, Angus Short Personal History

Written at age 80

Angus Grover, 5th child, and 2nd son of Thomas Martin and Isabella Hogg Grover. Born 31 Aug 1901, in the two room log house father built in Salem, ID.
I remember going to Sunday School in the old log church with a dirt roof up on the Salem square. Also visiting the school when I was too young to attend. The teacher, Letty Hegsted, let me stay for about and hour, then sent me home.
Father gave us chores to do at an early age. I learned to milk a cow, and old Bally was mint to milk when I was 5 years old.
While I was yet quite young, father was clearing the sage brush off the land, and we kids piled and burned it. I was still quite small when father had a addition built on the house. I remember Dave Rock and other laying brick.
I also remember one morning father took me by the hand and said come in and see your new brother. They named him Roscoe.
I went to the first grade in school in the Salem schoolhouse. The district had built a new school up at Sugar City.
Father was the School Board President, and I remember School Board meetings at our house, and them selecting the teachers for the coming year. Also, father would bring all the schoolhouse clocks home in the summer, and oil them and clean them.
When I was in the 5th grade, father sold the Salem farm, and moved to Sugar City. There we raised beets, hay, grain, and peas.
Dad also acquired a dry farm of 160 acres up on the Moody Bench, about 7 miles from our home.
I remember the living in a tent, and plowing, harrowing, drilling that farm. The wind blowing dust in everything. We later had a small 1 room house.
Father always kept quite a few cattle, and I remember taking a bunch along with a neighbor, Calvin Lusk, back on the summer range.
We drove them to Spring Creek, south of what was Pincocks Springs, and left them. The next morning some of them were back home. So we took them back and stayed with them. In the night a pack of wolves howled and kept us awake all night. We were about 13 or 14 years old. The next morning we saw 4 large timber wolves.
While growing up, we always had plenty of work to do, and there was very little time for sports. We had barns to clean, cows to milk, and were never allowed to stay after school to play baseball or basketball.
We did fish and hunt a lot, and supplied the table with lots of fish, ducks, rabbits, and pheasants.
We had an old single shot shot gun and always tried to get as many ducks in one shot as possible. I remember getting 5. We moved to Teton Basin when I was 16 years old. That winter we all had the flu and almost died. I went back to Sugar City and finished High School, graduating in May 1919.
The first part of the summer I worked on a survey crew that surveyed the present road from Felt to the Wyoming line southeast of Victor.
I drove a wooden stake every 100 ft of almost all about 40 miles. That fall I went to Rexburg and helped my brother-in-law Ellis Wilding who ran a dairy milking cows. Ellis came down with typhoid fever and died. The board of health closed the dairy, but I stayed there and worked for George Wilding on a threshing machine for about another month.
I then went back home and hauled wood and fed cattle the rest of the winter.
The winter of 1922, I went to Pocatello to Auto and Tractor school. Cyril Hamblin and Arthur Bowles went with me, and we roomed together in a dormitory. There we had access to the college gym, and did alot of wrestling and boxing. We also did a lot of running. Which possibly is the reason I am still around, as I have always done a lot of running.
Dad had acquired what we called the Covert ranch, now owned by Mr. Martin, west and south of Driggs. I had plowed and seeded about 80 acres of pearl barley there that year. We had harvested and stacked 8 Large grain stacks there. I had taken a job running a threshing machine for a Bates Co-op, and Dad had Rube Warbush come to thresh the barley. They had only started when sparks from the engine set the grain stacks of fire, and burned the grain thresher and all. How careless! The barley was worth $3.25 a bushel, and there must have been at least 2000 bushel. Possible the hardest blow that Dad ever had financially.
The next summer was uneventful, and that fall I ran a steam thresher for Ace Woods in Chapin, Bates, and Darby. The next fall I ran a large steam thresher for Charlie Daniels.
That winter and after 2 years of courtship, I married Charlotte Hamblin in the Salt Lake Temple 18 Dec 1924.
I worked for Boyd Reynolds in the rock quarry in Pole Canyon for about a month, and then got a job in the Brownbear coal mine the rest of the winter. That summer I ran the Chapin farm, and raised about 150 tons of hay, on shares from dad. That fall I ran a threshing machine for Charlie Daniels.
Charlotte was staying with her folks in Victor, and while trying to catch a horse in the pasture, she fell. Being pregnant, she injured herself badly, and as soon as the threshing season was over, I took her to Salt Lake to get good medical attention. Our daughter was born there 26 Jan 1926.
Through the help of Harry Wilding, I got a job in the Steam Electric plant for Utah Power and Light Co. where I worked until April 1927. The plant was shut down and were all laid off. Things were bad times in Salt Lake. Jobs were scarce, so we moved back to Driggs that summer.
That fall I ran a threshing machine for Otis South. Mostly in the Bates area.
The next spring, father and I made a real estate trade of the farms in Teton Basin for 2 farms in Draper, Utah. 40 acres in the town, and 320 acres bordering the Jordan river, about 2 miles west of Draper. We assumed mortgages of $25,000 on the deal, but the depression wiped us out in 1930.
Father moved back to the Basin, and I share cropped 40 acres from J.W. Fitzgerald, barely making enough to support my family.
While farming there our son Don was born 16 Aug 1930. When Don was about 1 1/2 years old, he became awful sick with stomach and intestinal problems, and gave us many sleepless nights, but finally got better.
In the spring of 1933, we moved into a 2 bedroom brick house on the south side of Draper. I worked on W.P.A. loading gravel for road improvements and drain fields for most of the people in Draper.
In 1935, a friend helped me get started in the chicken business. The house I was renting had two adjacent coops, and room for 1000 hens. I started with 400 pullets which did very well.
Our second daughter, Laura, was born here 8 May 1934.
We were quite active in Church work. Charlotte taught primary, and I taught a Sunday School class. We also had a good social life, with other young married couples in Draper. Our son Val was born in the Cotton Wood Stake Maternity home in Murray on 2 Oct 1936.
That summer, the Superintendent of the power plant in Salt Lake called me, and wanted me to come back to work, which I did. I bought a new Chevrolet car and drove 21 miles to work. That was a bad winter, and the roads drifted full of snow. Sometimes I left the car over a mile from home and walked home.
The next summer, we bought a home in the Sugar House District in Salt Lake. Here we had a nice 5 room brick home, garage, a 2050 shed type chicken coop. We had a nice Gurnesey cow, and calf (which someone stole the first night there) and about 300 chickens.
Here we again were active in Church work, Charlotte on the Primary Stake Board, and I served a home Mission, and was ordained a Seventy by Richard Evans. I also sang in the choir. Byron, our youngest was born March 1941.
In 1942, the war was on. I had worked my way into an important job with the Power Company, being head boilermaker in charge of all repairs on 14 large boilers.
The government froze all wages and prices rose until it was hard to make ends meet. So, I quit the Power Company and went to work on construction as a boilermaker, which paid about 4 times what the Power Co. paid.
I worked in Salt Lake for about 3 months, then at Wendover, Utah. Then at Toole Magna, again in Salt Lake, and then at Orem at the steel plant.
By 1944, construction work had slowed down, so I went up to Fort Douglas and applied for a job. They sent me to Fort Lawton at Seattle, Washington. I arrived by bus in Seattle 2 May 1944.
I was Chief Operating Engineer in charge of all heating and cooking and water equipment on an army post of about 15,000 troops. I had 5 boiler plants, each hand fired, with coal operating 24 hours a day. 28 other boilers fired by the building occupants, but maintained by myself and crew. Over 90 large hot air furnaces, over 100 hot water heaters in barracks and latrines. I had 33 boiler fireman, 4 steam fitters, 2 boiler mechanics.
With all this responsibility, I worked sometimes 16 hours a day 7 days a week. In July 1944, I went back to Salt Lake and rented the house, bought a 4 wheel tractor farm wagon hay rack, loaded up our furniture, and moved to Seattle. Living in a 2-bedroom apartment for about 6 months, then bought a 2-bedroom frame house.
We again were active in the Church. Charlotte was again in the Primary Stake Board, and we sang in the choir. Most every year we have made trips to Utah and Idaho, sometimes several.
In the fall of 1944, Don went over to Victor, and stayed there all winter and the next summer with Clydesdale and Reva Hamblin, whom he learned to love like a second father and mother.
In traveling back to Utah and Idaho, we most often stopped in Boise with Morgan and his lovely wife, Lorraine. She was always so cordial and we still treasure the memories of our visits there.
In 1948, June went to Logan to attend school. There she met and married Gordon Flammer. Gordon and June are now the parents of three sons and three daughters, and 5 grandchildren. They live in North Logan, and Gordon teaches engineering and Utah State. Our son Don filled a mission to Canada. He married Patricia Emery. They live in Tacoma, and have two daughters and one grandson. Our daughter, Laura, has finished a Masters Degree in English at the University of Washington, taught at Seattle Central Community College, falling victim to breast cancer, and is making a brave fight back. She has published a book of poems and stories. She lives here in Seattle. Val served a mission in the South Texas and Louisiana States. While he was there, he was made counselor to the Mission President. He later married Loretta Love, graduated from the University of Oregon, and now lives in Tucson, Arizona where they operate two El Taco Restaurants. They have two sons.
Byron served a mission on Colorado and New Mexico. He graduated from the University of Washington, married Joan Later, they live in Twin Falls and have 3 sons and a daughter.
After the 2nd World War and the Korean Wars were over, business at Ft. Lawton was slow. Most of the men were laid off, and it looked like the place would close, so I transferred to the Ballard Ship Canal Locks, where I worked as a pipe fitter and mechanic for 5 years. Here I enjoyed my work and the association with the people I worked with more than I did while working at the Army Post.
My wife Charlotte's health became a problem. She had developed diabetes and leakage of the heart. It was a constant worry. She spent about half of the last 3 years in the hospital, finally passing away 31 Jan 1976.
I had retired from work in 1971, as I was then 70 years of age and had to retire.
I have always been a busy person, and with a large yard to tend, a sick wife to care for, I did not get bored or lonesome.
After Charlotte's passing, I soon decided my own cooking was not so good, and I started looking.
I met a lovely lady at a Senior Dance, we had much in common, and after a short courtship we were married. Her name was Maude Larraine Ramage. (Her maiden name was Neville, which is the same family name in British Royalty that the Hamblin and Brigham Young families trace their genealogy to).
After five years of marriage to this wonderful lady, I am a most happy man.
She was not a member of the Church. She read the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price. My son Byron, who was a home stake missionary gave the missionary lessons to her. I baptized her August, we were married 21 May 1976.
The next April we went to the Arizona Temple, and I stood in for her departed husband and she was sealed to him.
We have worked in the Stake Genealogical Library for 5 years and presently go to the new Seattle Temple as often as possible.
I have sold my home, divided the money with my children. My wife has a nice home where we live.
I had worked for the Army Engineers for 28 years, from which I have pension. I also had a minimum Social Security check.
My good wife and I have never had a cross word with each other, and I hope we never do.
I am truly thankful for all the blessings that have come my way. Grateful to have been privileged to be the son of such wonderful parents, to have such a wonderful family.
I am now 1st counselor to the High Priest Group Leader, active in the ward, and Church Farm. As a hobby, I polish rocks, and make jewelry.
I can say the Lord had blessed me exceedingly, for which I am very grateful.
I am sure if we will obey the commandments, we shall all be blessed.
I am now just 3 months short of 80 years old. I hope to stay around at least another 10.

Linked toAngus Darwin Grover (Personal History)

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 67» Next»     » Slide Show